A more complete way of approaching this is to link individual performance to the goals of the business. To do this, many companies use ‘competencies.’ These are the integrated knowledge, skills, judgment, and attributes that people need to perform a job effectively. By having a defined set of competencies for each role in your business, it shows workers the kind of behaviors the organization values, and which it requires to help achieve its objectives. Not only can your team members work more effectively and achieve their potential, but there are many business benefits to be had from linking personal performance with corporate goals and values.
Defining which competencies are necessary for success in your organization can help you do the following:
- Ensure that your people demonstrate sufficient expertise.
- Recruit and select new staff more effectively.
- Evaluate performance more effectively.
- Identify skill and competency gaps more efficiently.
- Provide more customized training and professional development.
- Plan sufficiently for succession.
- Make change management processes work more efficiently.
Full article em http://www.mindtools.com/pages/article/newISS_91.htm